Poison & Prevention Information By Age : Adults
Poison Prevention Tips
- Be prepared.
- Put the poison control number (1-800-222-1222, U.S. only) in, on or near your phone.
- Save webPOISONCONTROL® as a browser favorite (webPOISONCONTROL.org).
- Install a carbon monoxide alarm in every sleeping area of your home. Keep appliances, furnaces, fireplaces and wood-burning stoves in good repair.
- Store medicines and products in their original containers.
- If children live in or visit your home, use child-resistant packaging. Replace caps securely.
- Store household products in a different place from food and medicine.
- Use medicines safely.
- Turn on the lights and read the label before taking or giving medicine. Follow directions exactly.
- Don't take someone else's medicine.
- If a medicine doesn't work, don't take extra doses. Contact your health care provider.
- Use household products as directed on the label. Mixing products can release dangerous gases.
- Have children? Check out the poison prevention tips for the ages of your children.
- Follow guidelines for personal protective equipment and ventilation at work.
Poisoned? Get Expert Help.
Don't guess what you should do. Get accurate Poison Control answers online or by phone. Both are free and confidential.
or CALL 1-800-222-1222
Subscribe to The Poison Post®
The Poison Post® is a free, quarterly e-newsletter delivering poison prevention tips right to your inbox!
Learn the Poison Prevention Jingles
Learn the Poison Help jingle in English or Spanish. Use these jingles to teach the Poison Control number: 1-800-222-1222. Available for download.