Spring Poisoning Prevention
Poison Prevention Tips
- Be prepared.
- Put the poison control number (1-800-222-1222, U.S. only) in, on or near your phone.
- Save webPOISONCONTROL® as a browser favorite (webPOISONCONTROL.org).
- Spring Forward! Change the batteries in your carbon monoxide alarms when you set your clocks forward. Keep appliances, furnaces, fireplaces and wood-burning stoves in good repair.
- Spring cleaning means dangerously strong chemicals may be within reach.
- Read and follow the directions on the product label.
- Turn on fans and open windows.
- Be especially careful with oven cleaners, drain openers, toilet bowl cleaners and rust removers. These caustics burn on skin or eye contact and are among the most dangerous products found in homes. Always keep them away from children – up high and locked away!
- Don’t mix cleaning products unless the label directs you to. Toxic gases may form. Never mix bleach with a cleaner that contains ammonia (generates chloramine gas) or a cleaner that contains an acid (generates chlorine gas).
- Store products in their original containers. The transfer of cleaners, pesticides or auto fluids to food or soda containers has caused some of the most serious poisonings in unsuspecting victims.
Poisoned? Get Expert Help.
Don't guess what you should do. Get accurate Poison Control answers online or by phone. Both are free and confidential.
or CALL 1-800-222-1222
Get the App!Download the free
Subscribe to The Poison Post®
The Poison Post® is a free, quarterly e-newsletter delivering poison prevention tips right to your inbox!
Learn the Poison Prevention Jingles
Learn the Poison Help jingle in English or Spanish. Use these jingles to teach the Poison Control number: 1-800-222-1222. Available for download.