Poison & Prevention Information
By Age : Toddler and Preschool
Poison Prevention Tips
- Be prepared.
- Put the poison control number (1-800-222-1222, U.S. only) in, on or near your phone.
- Save webPOISONCONTROL® as a browser favorite (webPOISONCONTROL.org).
- Install a carbon monoxide alarm in every sleeping area of your home.
- Poison proof every home where your child spends time.
- Lock household products and medicines out of your child’s reach.
- Use child-resistant packaging. Replace caps securely.
- Store household products in a different place from food and medicine.
- Keep purses out of your child's reach.
- Use medicines safely.
- Read the label before taking or giving medicine. Follow instructions exactly.
- Use the correct dosing syringe or cup, NOT a household spoon.
- Ask your child’s pediatrician before giving any herbal medicine or supplement.
- These especially hazardous household products must always be kept out of a child's reach. Buy small quantities only. Discard unneeded extras safely.
- windshield washer solutions
- drain cleaners
- toilet bowl cleaners
- hydrocarbons (gasoline, oils, paint thinners)
- Keep button batteries out of reach of children. Secure the battery compartment on remote controls, key fobs, cameras, watches, flameless candles, and every battery-powered product. Why? Batteries lodged in the esophagus can burn a hole in just 2 hours, causing death or damage that will require feeding tubes, breathing tubes, and extensive surgical repair.
Poisoned? Get Expert Help Online
Don’t guess what you should do. Get accurate answers prepared by poison control experts. This tool will guide you. It’s free. It’s confidential.
HELP ME with a possible poisoning