Autumn Poisoning Prevention
Poison Prevention Tips
- Be prepared.
- Put the poison control number (1-800-222-1222, U.S. only) in, on or near your phone.
- Save webPOISONCONTROL® as a browser favorite (webPOISONCONTROL.org).
- Store medicines and products in their original containers.
- Cold and flu season starts, so be alert to safe use of medications.
- Be sure not to use two or more products that contain the same drug. Watch especially for too much acetaminophen.
- Talk to your doctor before taking herbals and supplements. Make sure they don’t interfere with your medications.
- Never take medicine in the dark. Never take other people's prescriptions. Read the warnings and follow the directions on the label!
- Avoid wild mushrooms. Get your mushrooms from the market. Unless you are an expert, you can’t tell the poisonous ones from the safe ones. And the most toxic mushrooms, called "death caps" (Amanita species) may be growing in your own yard. Just a few bites can cause fatal liver damage.
- Children are attracted to colorful berries but some are poisonous. Know the names of the plants that grow where your children play and know which are dangerous.
- Fall Back! Change the batteries in your carbon monoxide alarms when you set your clocks back. Keep appliances, furnaces, fireplaces and wood-burning stoves in good repair.
Poisoned? Get Expert Help.
Don't guess what you should do. Get accurate Poison Control answers online or by phone. Both are free and confidential.
or CALL 1-800-222-1222
Get the App!Download the free
Subscribe to The Poison Post®
The Poison Post® is a free, quarterly e-newsletter delivering poison prevention tips right to your inbox!
Learn the Poison Prevention Jingles
Learn the Poison Help jingle in English or Spanish. Use these jingles to teach the Poison Control number: 1-800-222-1222. Available for download.